Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Such a sucker

The countdown to Kindergarten is on. In my head, a clock is ticking away every day, every minute until my little man steps on the bus for transition day.

For those who don't know, transition day is elementary school code for letting the kindergarteners have a practice day all to themselves before being trampled by the more experienced bullies, I mean, 6th graders. They even have a "yahoo/boohoo party" during the morning, which I think means that the parents of kindergartners who are home on friday mornings get together and bond. Aren't I going to be spending enough time with these people over the next 7 years?

The impact on my life seems to be that I have become a total pushover to the whims of my son. Now, he's gone to timeout twice in the last 24 hours for disobedience and attitude (yes, my son, with the attitude). But if he wants to play computer all day, fine. If he wants to build a space ship in the living room, whatever.

Case in point: yesterday I took him to piano. This is Monday routine: Kate to Jo's, Sam to piano, Sam to Jo's, mom to work. Well, he heard me making plans for Five Guys, and wanted to come to lunch too. It's an adult lunch, with boring conversation, I said. No games. No problem, he responded. So, he came.

Then during lunch, he looks at me with those big eyes, and comes over to give me a hug and tell me that I'm his "best mommy." I assume this public appreciation will disappear with many other vestiges of youth on August 14.

So, when I mention going to Jo's and he gets all, "Let's run errands. Let's spend the day together." What am I supposed to do? Run errands. Spend the day together, even though that is Sam code for going downstairs to play Jump Start World while I work upstairs.

It's going to be a long two weeks (but oh so short!!!!)

No comments: