Monday, February 23, 2009

My fickle friend

I am a lover of technology. In fact, marketers label my household "early adopters." We are often one of the first to have new gadgets. Sometimes it pays off, like the tivo. Sometimes, we pay way more than everyone else because we had it two years earlier and in a lesser model-- like our circa 2000 2 megapixel digital camera.

My newest challenge is the new car and it's oh-so-handy dvd system. It's not just your average pull-down dvd player. No, it's embedded in the headrests, so that both kids can watch their own movie on individual screens, or switch and watch the same movie. I know, it's amazing. They even have wireless headphones, so Mommy doesn't have to listen to Happy Feet ever again. I hope. It's a mommy dream world.

However, I have always felt very strongly that in-car dvd players are not for everyday use. They are for long trips, extended waiting, that type of thing. Not for 5 minute trips to Target. And based upon the current amount of time it takes to get each of them started and set to the correct audio, etc, the time-to-movie could be greater than the trip itself.

The temptation is the lovely silence that occurs when the kids are plugged in. They actually look forward to the trip to the babysitter because of the enticing images of Hermie or Tinkerbell on the screen. Mommy can listen to whatever I want to, and no one complains. No Radio Disney. No Mamma Mia.

But I look backwards, and see my two-year-old in a technology-induced coma, with her little headphones balanced precariously on her little head and feel like I've signed a pact with the devil himself. With the DVDs on, I lose my kids to their cartoon wonderland. I miss out on the sometimes difficult, sometimes informative recap of their day. I miss out on our prayer time on our way to Jo's. I miss out on the colors of the sunset and the constant barrage of questions about where we're going next and who's going to be there. (I don't miss that part as much). When are they going to learn to bicker over the seats or the radio? When are they going to learn to play I-spy?

Giving into this technology makes me miss out on my kids and their growing up. And, for now, I'm not willing to miss that. So, I'm prepared to be the bad guy who takes the DVDs out of the car and puts the headphones away. I'm sure I'll miss my uninterrupted sports talk, but I'll be all the better for it.

No comments: